I knew I’d be a writer by the age of four, when I’d staple together colourful pages to make books, complete with illustrations but using only scribbles as words. I was a writer, not a prodigy. At age seven, I created a series called The Adventures of Lady and Beauty (my dogs), using lined notebooks.
My paper lust and word infatuation continued into post-secondary, where I earned a BA in English (Minor-Classics) and a Diploma in Professional Writing from Memorial University of Newfoundland. My education plus background as a policy writer/computer technical writer helped kick-start my career as a technical writer for an international deep sea technology company.
Nowadays I’m an editor over at Matador Network. I write and scour the Internet for story ideas, germinating the minds of people everywhere with my brilliance. Working for the world’s largest independent online travel magazine is about as awesome as you’d figure.
I’ve also been dubbed their destination expert for St. John’s, Newfoundland. Recently I took over the role of Lead Writing Faculty at MatadorU, where I work with students who want to get their travel stories out into the world.
I’m the only Newfoundland travel writer in the Travel Media Association of Canada. While most of my writing focuses on the more fun side of life, I do also spend a great deal of time talking about Newfoundland, its changing culture, and what “home” means for us here.
- Regular contributor to SOAR magazine – (2012). Halifax airport’s magazine
- Reader’s Digest — Our Canada magazine (2012) – ‘Guysborough, N.S.’
- The Telegram newspaper (2012) – ‘The road less travelled’
- Newfoundland Quarterly – Issue #440 (2011). ‘Lost In Translation, Newfoundland Style’ (with Bob Hallett of Great Big Sea)
- ahoy! Marine Atlantic Onboard Magazine – Issue 01, Summer/Fall 2011
Viator trave blog – Contributor
Vacay.ca – Contributor
AOL Canada – Newfoundland blogger
Regular contributor to Where.ca
Westjet’s up! magazine
- Context Tours: Walking Tours For the Intellectually Curious
- Rediscovering Newfoundland and the East Coast Trail
The Expeditioner Online
- Suzy Guese – How to Travel Like a Temperamental Ginger
- Where.ca – Travel Writer Candice Walsh Does Canada (and the World)
- HostelBookers.com – The Best Travel Blogs and Posts in October (featuring Candice Walsh)
- Jessie on a Journey – Meet Candice Walsh
- Dangerous Business – Thursday Traveler: Candice Walsh
- Zip Set Go – Beyond the Hashtag: Candice Walsh
Travel brands I work with
My number one passion is travel writing, particularly travel narrative and capturing the nightlife of a destination. However, my background with writing about a diverse number of topics ranging from sonar equipment to sports news has provided me with the tools necessary to handle challenges, including research.
If you would like me to write for you, please contact me by email: email@example.com
All materials on Candice Does the World are copyrighted and may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.